Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Grandmothers

I do not know quite what it is but I have always felt a strong connection with the old ladies in my life. The comforting words, the oldie aromas... it all draws me in and means Grandmother to me.

I'm just joshin' about the aromas.


But seriously it is weird considering the drastic difference between them all. My Grandma Jean, I think is maybe the only one that I did not have that connection with and that is probably because she passed away when I was about 8 or 9.

Other than that there is my Grandma Connie who passed away about a year and half ago. She was my paternal Grandma. Very beautiful and kind. She had a very sweet soul. Everyone loved her and most still do. She was a woman of strong character and convictions. She was a good mother, a good grandmother and a good great grandmother.

And now... My Grandma Dianne. She is technically my step-grandmother I think, on my mother's side. But I have known her my whole life so she is just Grandma to me. Well, not just Grandma. She is the Grandma with whom I share a birthday.

"Remember, remember the 5th of November"

That is our day. Ours alone. And I love that we have that. But beyond that I have always been able to talk to her very frankly about anything that goes on in my life. I know that she will always listen to me and always be there. A kind word and a kind heart. When we were younger she used to tell us when we would visit her "Whatever your little heart desires." I can't wait to have Grandchildren just so I can say that and drive my children insane!

When I was younger she and I used to make fudge and she taught me how to scramble eggs in just the right way so they would be fluffy and dry. Just how I like them. Sometimes, we would rip up square cheese and put that on there too.

Speaking of square cheese, we had a signal for that during snack time. I wouldn't even have to say anything. I could just look at her and with my finger make a square and there it was, my square cheese! just like magic, or so I felt anyway.

There is a reason, a very personal reason that I go into this and I won't share it though it is obvious. But she means a lot to me and I miss her right now. I wish that I could give her a very large hug and make her some fudge. Maybe give her slice of square cheese and tell her that she can anything her little heart desires.

After all, shouldn't we all have that?

No comments: