Use fresh strawberries to decorate the top of this decadent cake.
- 2 cups unbleached organic flour*
- 1 cup natural cane sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted organic butter, melted
- 1 cup pureed strawberries, fresh or frozen, thawed
- 1/2 cup organic milk
- 1 box powdered sugar
- 4 tablespoons unsalted organic butter, melted
- 4–6 tablespoons puréed fresh or frozen strawberries
- fresh strawberries for decoration
Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter (or spray) and flour 2 9-inch round cake pans or one 9x13-inch cake pan. Set aside. Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, beat remaining ingredients together. Add to dry, beating with a wire whisk. Pour into prepared cake pans. Bake the cake for 30-35 minutes or until done when tested with a toothpick.
To make the frosting, sift powdered sugar into melted butter. Add strawberry purée to spreading consistency. Frost the cake and decorate the top of the cake with fresh strawberries just before serving.
* If desired, you may substitute part of the unbleached flour with whole wheat pastry flour or white wheat flour
Per Serving (140g-wt.): 410 calories (120 from fat), 13g total fat, 8g saturated fat, 1g dietary fiber, 5g protein, 71g carbohydrate, 100mg cholesterol, 350mg sodium