Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Temper Tantrum

So... Adrien has hit the 18 month tantrum phase. What fun, let me tell ya! Scott is gone, both babies and I are sick and all of a sudden Adrien starts throwing these rightous, he** raising fits that would put any exorcism to shame. He throws his whole body on the floor with everything that he's got. Then he kicks, screams, hits, rolls around and throws himself against any nearby hard object. This goes on for at least 10 minutes every time. Some of you say... 10 minutes?! Why don't you stop that?! Well, at first I was and then I called the pediatrician who has said that all I need to do is keep him out of harms way (which I really, really try to do) and let him have it out. Yesterday I was taking him for a walk. All was going well, he found a ball and carried it around with him until we got to the bridge. He was looking at the water through the bars on the bridge and all of a sudden he giggled and threw his ball in, waved goodbye. Then he proceeded to throw the worst fit I have ever seen, until today. It was awful! A man in the house by the bridge was watching the whole thing and was laughing!! Finally, after twenty minutes I gave up on letting him get it out and picked him up and headed home. Mind, I had Izzy in the ergo carrier on the front and was carrying Adrien as best as was possible while he kicked and screamed. I got halfway home and realized he was missing a shoe. So, I headed back and met up with the old man who was getting in his car with the shoe. He just laughed and said he has four kids and ten grandkids... He knows a fit when he sees one and eventually they stop.

Well, on another note, I finally (yea for me!) made my whole wheat sugar cookies... YUM! I actually like them better than normal sugar cookies. The whole wheat flour seems to balance out the sweetness, especially if like me, you put powdered sugar frosting on. So, here is my recipe, hope you like it just as much!


Whole Wheat Sugar Cookies & Powdered Sugar Frosting (glaze)

2/3 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups whole wheat flour (plus some extra for rolling)
1 recipe P.S. Frosting

*In a large mixing bowl beat butter with an electric mixer for 30 seconds. Add sugar, baking powder and salt. Beat until combined. Beat in egg, milk and vanilla until combined. Beat in as much flour as possible and if necessary use a wooden spoon to stir the rest in. Divide in half and chill for a half hour... or a few days, but not more than three.

**On a lightly floured surface (I find a dishcloth works great), roll half the dough at a time until 1/8 inch thick. Using a cookie cutter or a cup... whatever is handy cut the dough into desired shapes. Place 1 inch apart on a cookie sheet.

*** Bake at 375* for 7-8 minutes or until edges are firm and bottoms are very lightly browned. Transfer to a rack and let cool.


Powdered Sugar Frosting (glaze)

1 cup sifted powdered sugar
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
1 tablespoon milk or orange juice or lemon juice

*In a small bowl combine all ingredients. If necessary add more milk 1 teaspoon at a time until icing reaches a drizzly nature. Now smother your cookies in this wonderful goodness and keep in mind, you might have to double this recipe for your cookies!

Enjoy!

No comments: