Friday, April 18, 2008

Strawberry Fields... well cake really

I love to bake, especially cake. Cake is always such a fun, fun thing to do. You get to frost it, decorate it and then you get to watch the people you love eat it.

Today I made a strawberry cake. I have never made strawberry cake before, but so far so good. I know I've told you about my son's love affair of strawberries, but what I convienantly left out was that he got that from me. When I was a kid, my Grandma would go to the Farmer's market and get these huge flats of strawberries and I would help her clean and cut them. Which really meant that I was just eating them. All day I would eat and eat and eat these strawberries. I never got sick of them. When I found out that she had Diverticulitis, I was so sad that she couldn't eat strawberries anymore that I peeled a bowl full for her and she ate them all. So, this strawberry cake is kind of an homage to my childhood strawberry passion, and of course to Adrien my little berry boy.

I got the recipe off of the Whole Foods website, I love thier recipes, and the store of course. But here it is and hope you enjoy, it is a very simple recipe.

Strawberry Cake

Use fresh strawberries to decorate the top of this decadent cake.

Serves 12

  • 2 cups unbleached organic flour*
  • 1 cup natural cane sugar
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon sea salt
  • 4 eggs
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted organic butter, melted
  • 1 cup pureed strawberries, fresh or frozen, thawed
  • 1/2 cup organic milk


  • Icing
  • 1 box powdered sugar
  • 4 tablespoons unsalted organic butter, melted
  • 4–6 tablespoons puréed fresh or frozen strawberries
  • fresh strawberries for decoration

Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter (or spray) and flour 2 9-inch round cake pans or one 9x13-inch cake pan. Set aside. Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, beat remaining ingredients together. Add to dry, beating with a wire whisk. Pour into prepared cake pans. Bake the cake for 30-35 minutes or until done when tested with a toothpick.

To make the frosting, sift powdered sugar into melted butter. Add strawberry purée to spreading consistency. Frost the cake and decorate the top of the cake with fresh strawberries just before serving.

* If desired, you may substitute part of the unbleached flour with whole wheat pastry flour or white wheat flour

Nutrition Info

Per Serving (140g-wt.): 410 calories (120 from fat), 13g total fat, 8g saturated fat, 1g dietary fiber, 5g protein, 71g carbohydrate, 100mg cholesterol, 350mg sodium

No comments: