Monday, August 4, 2008

mmm...mmmm... good!

It's 7:00 pm and much later than originally planned for dinner. I have the pasta water boiling and am getting my pot out for the sauce when I frantically start to realize that I have hungry, hungry children and no pasta sauce. Adrien will not eat pasta without sauce. Scott hates a simple clear or butter sauce and Isabella is getting crankier by the minute. No sauce in the cupboard, under the couch (yes we really looked here), in the fridge, under the sink, under the stove, in the laundry room, in the trash. No sauce.

No sauce, no sauce, no sauce. I checked my receipt from earlier in the week. Did I really buy the sauce or am I just going crazy? Yes, I bought the sauce. Scott clearly remembers putting it away, though where still remains a mystery. Hmm...

I ended up improvising quite nicely. Adrien ended up with chicken nuggets from the freezer.

Here is what I did and let me tell you, it was better than sauce!


Jessie's "oh crap" pasta

1/4 cup red onion, chopped

1 vine ripened tomato, diced

4 small cloves garlic, minced (fresh, other wise use 5 of the canned stuff)

2 tblspn Olive oil

1 sprig of fresh rosemary

spaghetti for two

Basil

Italian Cheese



Boil water for pasta, and just as you add the noodles sweep a sprig of rosemary leaves into the water. Cook until done.

Heat oil in a large skillet and sautee garlic and onion together until the onion just starts to turn a golden brown crispy color. Add the tomato and stir, then immediately turn off the heat. Add about one leaf of Basil, torn up and stir again. Let sit on warm burner while you drain your pasta. Divide onto two plates. Divide your "sauce" onto the pasta, top with two pinches of cheese and some sliced basil (approximately 1 leaf per plate). Add a little salt and pepper and you are done.

Yummy!! Scott loved it and I loved it. It was mild enough not to cause indegestion and yet flavorful enough to be satisfying.

Enjoy!

No comments: