Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Indian Flat Bread Tacos

Scott and I have a tendancy to get stuck in a food rut. We will eat the same thing over and over again, only because it is simple and good. So last weekend I dug out some of my Grandmother's old cookbooks and told Scott that each week we will try at least one new thing, if not two. This week we chose Indian Flat Bread Tacos. They were so yummy! And colorful, they turned red as we cooked them. The other bonus was that Adrien ate them, which is a miracle. That kid is so hard to feed.
I accidentally tripled the amount of turmeric in the recipe, which wasn't a bad thing. We did a quick hamburger, onion, tomatoe and cheese filling. But you can do anything, I bet even some fruit would be good in it. Today I am going to make the dough and bake chips out of it. I'll let you know how that endeavor goes.
Here they are:


INDIAN FLAT BREAD TACOS

1 1/2 Cups flour

1/2 tsp turmeric

1/4 tsp baking soda

1/4 tsp salt

2 tbsp butter


Combine the ingredients and add enough water to form a firm dough. Divide the dough into 6 balls and roll out until they are approximately 1/4" thick. Heat a pan with a bit of oil. Place a spoonful of filling into the center of rolled dough, seal with water. Cook in oil until golden brown (or red) on each side. Keep warm


So simple, yet so tasty!

No comments: